Hiring Non-Resident Tenure Track Faculty

03/27/2020 - 12:00am - MyTrack appointments for new TTF due to Dean’s Office
Last update: 09/24/2018 - 4:20pm

Tenure Track Faculty

After the offer is accepted, the unit must start two separate processes:

  • Contact International Student and Scholar Services as soon as possible to arrange for an H-1B visa.
  • Contact Human Resources to begin the application process for labor certification and permanent residency.  

Please note that the completed paperwork for this process must be filed with the federal Department of Labor (DOL) within 18 months of the Office of the Provost official contract offer date, not the start date of employment. There are no extensions granted for this deadline, and failure to meet the 18 month filing deadline will most likely force your unit to conduct a new recruitment process for this position. After the employee is granted labor certification, the employee files for a “green card” (permanent residency) with the International Affairs office. This process can take 2 - 3 years to complete. Since since H-1B visas are limited to a total of six years, units must move quickly to ensure that there is sufficient time to complete the process. 

Institutions of higher education are entitled to apply for labor certification using a category for college professors in long term teaching positions. At the UO we use this category for tenure-related positions. However, in order to qualify for this category, the recruitment ad for the position must mention teaching as part of the job requirements. The ad becomes the basis for the entire labor certification and permanent residency qualification process.  

After the labor certification is approved by DOL, the international faculty member needs to meet with International Affairs to discuss the permanent residency application process.


(541) 346-8605
(541) 346-4441