Department heads of academic units with tenure-related faculty lines, who have a four- or five-course baseload
This version: 9/5/19
Though department heads receive a workload adjustment for time devoted to administrative duties through course release, administrative demands and schedules may nevertheless adversely impact scholarly or creative productivity. To help faculty returning to a four- or five-course teaching load refocus on research after a period leading a unit, upon completion of a three-year appointment of service, CAS will offer a study term.
A study term comes with a one-course teaching release for the faculty member so that their teaching schedule can be arranged to be free of teaching courses during the study term. It is also understood that the faculty will be excused from service obligations as much as possible. They must continue to advise graduate students and be resident at UO and available to the department unless they have a research leave approved by the department head and divisional dean.
1. Heads of academic units with tenure-related faculty lines, who have a four- or five-course baseload, may arrange a study term, which may be combined with the summer for a six-month period free of teaching for research or other related professional development. They will receive a one-course study term upon completion of a three-year administrative appointment or a two-course study term upon completion of a six-year administrative appointment if they are renewed after the first appointment.
2. The study term will represent one course release during the academic year in which it is taken following a three-year appointment or two course releases during the academic year in which it is taken following a six-year appointment. Faculty who choose to serve for more than two three-year terms will not receive additional study terms.
3. A study term cannot be taken between two consecutive appointments as head.
4. The study term must be used after completion of the associated administrative appointment. If the head does not complete the three-year appointment, they will forfeit the study term.
5. This accommodation only applies to heads of units who have administrative responsibility for direct supervision of tenure-related faculty and who have a four- or five-course teaching load.