CAS Space and Facilities



The CAS Director of Planning and Facilities provides professional support for matters related to space planning and allocation, renovation and new construction projects, and existing building facilities. This position acts as the liaison between CAS’s senior administration, its operating units and outside units including Campus Planning and Facilities Management (CPFM), the Office of the VP Research and Innovation (OVPRI), and Office of the Provost.

  • Requests for space: should be emailed to the appropriate Divisional Dean with a copy to Cathy Soutar, Director of Planning and Facilities at If you have questions about space please contact Cathy directly at 541-346-5567.
  • Help with remodeling or upgrading interior spaces: Fill out the Campus Planning and Facilities Management (CPFM) Project Initiation Request: Please check the CAS box to ensure the form is submitted to CAS. If you have questions about remodeling any space please contact Cathy at or 541-346-5567.
  • For help with, or requests related to, existing building issues, including building systems (heating, cooling, electrical, plumbing, fire protection): call Facilities Services, Work Control Center at or 541-346-2319. For after-hours/weekend response contact 541-346-2919.




Priorities and guidelines.  Although some departments have sufficient office within their historical allocation, the college in general is suffering from a shortage of space.  Priority will be given to active-duty faculty and teachers:

  1. Tenure-track faculty
  2. Non-tenure-track faculty
  3. Graduate Employees with work assignments that require an office
  4. Retired faculty: we suggest the following guidelines, with the understanding that individual units will need to adapt them to fit local needs, priorities, and individual circumstances.
    1. Retired faculty who are teaching will have appropriate office space during the terms they teach.  In some cases, it may be possible to maintain an existing office, but this cannot be guaranteed.  Either a smaller-sized office or office sharing will typically be assigned.
    2. The extent of sharing should be assessed individually based on continued involvement in instruction, research activity, service, and, in some areas, external research funding.
    3. In all cases, departments should make every effort to assist faculty in making office moves and in preparing offices for occupancy.



  1. Lab space assignments should reflect the research needs of the faculty member.  Space allocation may be reduced if research can be conducted in a smaller space.  Where possible it may be increased if more space is needed for the faculty member’s research program.
  2. Retired faculty with need for lab space should be accommodated when possible, but this will often require a reduction of or sharing of space.
  3. Because of the university’s responsibility toward sponsoring agencies, if necessary, sponsored research will be given higher priority for lab space than unsponsored research.



Campus space is allocated by the provost.  Similarly, space allocated to the college is then allocated to departments by the dean.  Consequently, the dean may change space allocation to departments, and the provost may change space allocation to the college.